Friday, June 27, 2008

More Pictures from Philly

I was sent a couple more pictures from the Philly Tri so I thought I would put them on the blog.




This is Holden with the Wassner sisters. Holden is the one with the smirk in the middle. Rebeccah Wassner (on the right I think) defended her 2007 title to win the females race in 2:03:25. Her sister, Laurel, is also very fast and she came in 3rd out of the female pros. All three of them are members of the new Cadence Pro Triathlon team.





This photo was taken just after the finish and as you can see the first thing I did was take off my shoes. I am standing next to Cadence's Director of Performance and ex-pro cyclist, Brian Walton and his kids. Next to him is Mike Egan. Mike is also a very talented athlete with an amazing story and he was good enough to give me some support out on the run on Sunday. He finished 3rd in my age group, 21st overall, with a time of 2:04:21 and he is the 'face' of Cadence (he is the good looking guy in all the pictures on the website and in Cadence's adverts). I can highly recommend his race report from Kona which is very interesting:

http://www.cadencecycling.com/training/blog/2007/10/mike-egan-reports-on-his-ironman-hawaii.aspx



The last one is of course me grinning like an idiot with my wonky British teeth. I am not sure why I am quite so happy. The race wasn't that bad and it was probably more to do with being able to release my feet.

Well since the race things have not eased off at all. Monday was a gentle swim but Tuesday I was back out for 2 hour ride followed by a recovery run, a long swim Wednesday and a merciless 2 hour ride with 3 times 15min Lactate Threshold intervals followed by a 45 min run with 4 Zone 5!!! intervals yesterday. Unfortunately everything fell apart by the run. The ride went well but by the time I got home I was severely dehydrated. Temperatures were in the mid 90's and humidity levels were stifling. I had to down a couple of pints of water and that unfortunately resulted in stomach cramps as soon as I tried to run.

Still a productive week and during the group ride on Tuesday I couldn't help but remember the first time I tried the ride and I was dropped in the first few minutes. Now I can do my own share of dropping. Later today we are back up to Philly. I will do a group ride from Cadence tomorrow and hopefully get to swim with Holden and then I have some more LT testing on Sunday so stand by for another boring analysis type blog.

1 comment:

Eganski said...

20th James!

It was nice meeting you out there-I'm heading up to Lake Placid to watch the race and do some training/cheering for some friends.

See you there...good luck in training.

mike