Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Suunto Footpod

I just wanted to do a quick thank you to Suunto for sending me a footpod to accompany the T3 they gave us at the Cadence Kona Challenge

Before this competition I used a Polar heart rate monitor. I still plan to use my Polar heart rate monitor during races as I have the speed and cadence sensors on my bike and the Polar is a pretty tough unit. Part of me always thought that the T3 might end up in the draw and that I would be using my Polar monitor all the time but this has turned out not to be the case.

The T3 is very simple to use. The watch is light and much smaller than my Polar wristwatch. I find that I wear my T3 most days and just keep the chest strap in my bag for trips to the gym. With my Polar monitor I have their wearlink chest strap which is far comfier than the old polar plastic chest strap. The T3 comes with a chest strap that has a rigid plastic piece but that bit of rigid plastic is much smaller than the cheaper Polar chest straps and the chest strap is actually perfectly comfortable, I can wear the T3 strap for 3 to 4 hours of cycling without issue.

I haven't used the footpod yet but I did have a Polar footpod which I could never get to work properly and have really never used. First impressions of the Suunto footpod are that it is a lot smaller than the Polar footpod I have. It is also very lite and I particularly like the way in which it turns itself on and off based upon motion. My Polar unit was turned on by a button and it always seemed to have a flat battery. I think that the Suunto unit is going to be pretty straight forward to operate and due to its size should not be noticeable when running, it looks like this particular piece of kit might actually get some use.

1 comment:

Scott Sharpe said...

Did you have to pay for your footpod or did they just send it to you? I haven't heard anything about any of the prizes. Hope you and Wendy are doing well.