Monday, July 21, 2008

T+1 Ironman Lake Placid

Just a quick note to say 1. I am now an Ironman and, 2. thank you for all the kind messages of support and I will get around to writing a full race report as soon as I can.

The view from our room a couple of hours ago

Wendy and I left Lake Placid earlier today and took the ferry across to Burlington, Vermont where we checked into the Hilton. I have been for a swim and jacuzzi and then we ordered loads of room service and a bottle of bubbly. Needless to say I am feeling pretty good after all that. Various bits of my body are a little sore but nothing at all serious and I imagine the stiffness will wear off very soon.
Room service including banana splits and bubbly - nice


Before I get around to the full race report, and as a bit of a teaser, I thought I would show you the 2008 Lake Placid video that was aired at the pre-race banquet. Please note that the occasional down pour mentioned actually turned out to be 14 hours of the heaviest, most relentless rainfall I have ever seen and I have been based in Faslane, Scotland. To top it off the rain started 40 minutes after the start of the race and did not finish until well after I had finished.

I finished in 11:54:03. I had a reasonable swim, solid bike and when I realised I could not run a quick enough 3rd leg to meet my A goal I ran/walked the marathon to minimise the aggrevation to my injured groin. Despite not meeting my A goal I met my B goal, finishing, with 'relative' ease. Hats off to everyone who has finished an Ironman I do not care what anyone says it is bloody hard work, also commiserations to those few members of my tri team who did not make it for various reasons. I am very sorry it didn't go right for you on the day and realise that nothing at this stage will make that any easier to swallow.

No comments: