Tuesday, July 15, 2008

T -4

Sunday, I got in a good 1.5 hour ride. I pushed quite hard sat up on the bull bar but whenever I got down into the aero position I couldn't put any pressure on the pedal without hurting my groin. I was going to go for a very light 20 min recovery run when I got off the bike but as soon as I took one stride I knew it was a bad idea and called it a day.





Monday, I got in a good 1500m swim and went back to the chiropractor. Dr Beck had worked the damaged tissue on Saturday and Dr Booker carried on where he left off. He had me run so that he could assess my gait and as he worked on my hip flexors and abs I did get a bit more range of movement in my hip. However he did ask me whether or not I had seen my doctor as he instructed and I had to admit I hadn't. The problem with my symptoms is that they could also be an indication of a hernia brought on by the impact. If I had a hernia there is not a lot anyone could do and it would be game over.





It was with great trepidation that I went to the Navy Yard clinic today. I have to say the US Navy medical care is amazing. I walked into the clinic which is situated between the car park and my office at 0815. I asked if there were any appointments for today and I was given an appointment at 0830. 0820 I was called through to have my vitals taken and a few minutes later the doctor saw me. After a lot of coughing I was told that I did not have any hernia - whew. He told me I should have stayed on the Ibuprofen and prescribed some 800mg tablets to take upto and including the race. Less than 5 minutes later I was picking up my prescription and I was at my desk for 0900 which is pretty rapid patient service.





This afternoon has been a rush of last minute shopping, dropping my bike off to be taken up to Lake Placid and seeing the chiropractor again. Today I was with Dr Beck who continued to work on the scar tissue. When I got back from the Chiro I went out for a 2 hour ride. I had to borrow Wendy's 650 front wheel for which I have no spare tubes and I realised that I have sent my puncture repair kit with my bike. The ride itself was great. The weather was beautiful and I went back past the scene of the accident. As I went past in zone 2 I was reading 24.5 mph so I am going to reassess my crash speed as a little faster than I thought. My groin didn't bother me. A couple of times I was aware that something wasn't quite right but I was still able to get down into my drops and put some power down.



The bottom line. I have had a good chat with Holden and he assures me that my fitness level will be more than enough to race well despite not training. I should not worry and if necessary I will not run until I actually hit the marathon of the Ironman. Dr Beck said the same thing when I talked about key sessions and his quote is the only key session is the race itself. Everyone has been great and really supportive but as Holden said I just have to be mentally prepared in case my body hasn't repaired itself sufficiently to run on Sunday. That being said my gut feeling is that it will be close but I will be OK come Sunday.



I must go as I haven't packed yet and we are back at the chiropractor first thing tomorrow morning and then straight off to the airport where we are going to annoy all the business travellers with our arsenal of baby gears and 'mobility equipment'.

Whoops wrong Lake Placid - I hope



Next post will hopefully be from Lake Placid itself - that's right I am hoping to blog 'on location'.


I think I prefer the other picture - less frightening than this mass start

No comments: