Sunday, February 24, 2008

Facebook for Fitties - Athlinks.com

I have added a link to my athlink.com profile under my links.

Athlinks.com is great place to keep track of you race results. When you enter your name it will generate those races where your name appears in the results and you can then claim those results for your profile.

You can also include other members as your friends so that you have a link to their profile and results. Athlinks also looks for other people who have raced in some of the same races as you and lists them as rivals (I think they need to be in 3 of the same races as you). I have not yet edited my rivals so these are the default names Athlinks selected as my rivals.

There are a lot of other things you can do e.g. race reports, gear reviews etc. I have not bothered with any of these features yet but know that I have a one stop shop if I want to compare my race results. Please feel free to request me as a friend if you join or are an existing member and let me know that you have seen my blog.

This week has been very quiet and was strictly a recovery week following the marathon. I have had 3 days off, 2 gentle swims, 2 recovery bike rides and a 30 minute light run. Holden has just posted my program for the next 3 weeks and the gloves are well and truly off.

I am back to the grindstone tomorrow with an hour on the bike and a 1hr 15min run. Tuesday is a 2 hour bike with overgear and lactate threshold intervals. Wednesday is 1hr 45min run and some core strength work. Thursday a swim, 50 min run and weights session. Friday day off - thank goodness. Sat a long bike starting at 3 hours this week then 4hrs then 5hrs. Sunday is a swim and then 2 hours of Bike-Run bricks. Bricks are one discipline followed immediately by another, similar to race conditions.

I am tired just reading this program but I am on a high following the marathon. Having proof that the training is working so well really makes it easier to throw myself back into this base training.


As a final note I wanted to say well done to the Brits in the Tour of California. David Millar (picture is of the Slipstream-Chipotle dog - Millar's team, not the man himself) has had a great week and is currently in second place (I am just about to watch the highlights of the final day) and yesterday he made a very brave breakaway with only 3 miles to go which very nearly paid off. Another Brit, Mark Cavendish, took the sprint to the line having crashed only a few miles before the finish. Turns out he cheated a little bit but the point is he showed his world class abilities and having had very few successful Brit Cyclists to follow on the pro tour in recent years it is good to see GBR up there on the leader board.



I have really enjoyed watching the race and have even watched a couple of legs whilst on my trainer, almost as if I were in the race except the peleton was doing 25mph+ whilst I was probably doing about a 14mph pace at best. But with bike racing on the TV it must mean that my own race season will soon be on.

1 comment:

Athlinks said...

James -

Thanks a lot for the mention of Athlinks. Please let us know if there is anything that we can do for you and/or your blog.

Troy Busot
Athlinks.com