Monday, February 11, 2008

Meet my Coach - Holden Comeau

I thought I would take the opportunity to introduce my coach or more accurately let my coach introduce himself. Following the selection weekend in New York we were all assigned a coach from the Cadence Cycling & Multisport Staff and I was lucky enough to be assigned Holden. I actually had the opportunity to meet him before I knew he was my coach as he ran the swim assessment during the Cadence Kona Challenge selection weekend. Whether the fact that he swims like a fish and that I swim like a dog has something to do with the assignment I do not know. Here is Holden.....




"I'm a second year Pro Triathlete and still relatively new to the sport, having spent a successful career as a competitive swimmer. At the culmination of my swimming career I held international rankings in the 50, 100, and 200 freestyle. I was a Big Ten Conference Champion, and made two trips to NCAA Championships. As a pro triathlete, I haven't done enough!!! I am beginning my fourth year in the sport, and I have consciously focused most of my attention - until now - on learning the techniques and training methodologies that I believe are essential for success. If an athlete can understand how his body "works" in order to perform a specific sport, it's amazing how many different things can be manipulated in order to train successfully. It was exactly this focus which has also led me to coaching, where I find tremendous satisfaction in helping other athletes come to find all of the things that I think are so interesting and valuable. As for Cadence...I've been an athlete for much of my life, and until I came to work here at Cadence, I hadn't found a coaching organization that was equally as passionate and qualified. That passion is the assumption we work under, and it gives us the freedom and support we need to be wonderful coaches".

Holden



On the Cadence website his bio explains he had the fastest swim split in every race he entered in 2005 and in 2006 he placed 11th overall in the USAT National Championships, finished 4th overall in the NYC Triathlon and was the winner of the Might Montauk and Pine Barrens triathlons. Quite an impressive resume I am sure you will agree and he is a nice guy to boot.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, you are very lucky to have Holden as your coach. Continued good luck with your training. Natalie (one of the 10)

James said...

Good to hear from you Natalie and thank you for your comment. Lets hope that I can do this fantastic training justice with some good results.

Anonymous said...

Holden is a wonderful coach and an excellent athlete. He's also a terrific son...His Mum

James said...

Mrs Comeau,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my Blog and I can only agree with your comments. Having recently become a Dad I can only hope my son grows up as healthy.

James

eddiefast said...

I was at the St Anthony's Tri. My son competed for the first time. I have some wonderful pictures of Holden
on his bike. Please have Holden contact me at ek145@hargray.com.

Thanks

Ed

James said...

Ed,

Thanks for the note, I have forwarded your details to Holden.