Monday, February 11, 2008

Myrtle Beach Marathon - Not a day at the 'C'-side, but must 'B' sensible and not 'A' hot-head - TR*

'A','B' and 'C' races what do they really mean.

I think I have mentioned in an earlier Blog what is meant by an 'A', 'B' and 'C' race within a periodized training program. To reiterate an 'A' race is a key race in your program which you have specifically trained and tapered for, a 'B' race is an important race although you have not specifically trained for it and may or may not have tapered for and a 'C' race is a race which you are not overly concerned about and certainly have not trained specifically for.

A good example of the difference between an 'A' and a 'B' race can be seen in the difference between my preparations for the Myrtle Beach Marathon, for me a 'B' race, and those of my TeamZ teammates for whom it is an 'A' race. Although my teammates continue to follow a triathlon training plan including swimming and cycling they have been focusing on longer and longer runs building to around 18-20 miles. This allows the body to get used to the feeling of using up all of your glycogen stores which will happen at roughly about the 18 mile point.

I on the other hand have not had a run longer than about 11.5 miles. I was a little concerned about this but I have spoken to Holden and he has reassured me that the base fitness level I have acquired through cycling and running volume will hold me in good stead. He has warned me that I will most likely hit the wall and that it will hurt - thanks!! but the point is this is not a key race for me and as such I have not followed a traditional marathon training schedule.

There is of course an element of 'expectation management' associated with my race. I have to admit on my longer runs when the endorphins were flowing I would let my mind wonder and dream about finishing the marathon in some astonishing time and taking my place on the podium. Of course when the endorphin high runs out I can accept that this is a fantasy, in reality I dream of being fairly quick in each of the three disciplines making me a good solid triathlete overall.





With this Marathon I was starting to lose track of the fact that it was a 'B' race. My boss is a keen runner and has a PB of about 3:26 and I have a friend back in the UK who is hoping to post a good time at the London Marathon. I started to think to myself "you are in the best shape of your life at the moment you can run a pretty quick time here". I enjoy friendly competition and started to wonder whether I could run a sub 3:30 marathon. Having talked it out with Holden I need to be more realistic and the plan is to set out at a fairly steady 8.30 min/mile. If I can hold this pace I should finish in around 3:45. If I am feeling good after 10 miles or so I can try picking the pace up a little and ideally I will run a negative split.

Therefore putting my neck on the line I am aiming for a 3:45 marathon or better. This is still a good time and having never run this distance before I would be very happy to finish in that time. I think my biggest problem will be coping with the aches and pains that running that far will create and I hope that the new trainers are not too uncomfortable. Although they are the same brand the GT 2130s do feel different to the GT 2120s. The real key to this race is to make sure that I stick to the plan and run a sensible race. I must not get caught up in the occassion and go out too quickly as I am simply unprerpared to 'race' a marathon. To quote Marsellus Wallace "That's pride fooling with you. Forget pride. Pride only hurts, it never helps." (maybe not an exact quote but this is a PG webpage). We will find out soon enough.

5 comments:

Chris Wren said...

James, I have thoroughly enjoyed you blog. I'm looking at about the same strategy for Myrtle. Maybe we should hook up. With a 3:45 I may have a shot at my AG podium.

Chris Wren

James said...

Thanks for the comment Chris. I would love to hook up for the race and would definitely benifit from your experience with pacing. Will look out for you Friday.

Mary Lou said...

Hey James - took a glance at my Runner's World calendar today and saw the note for the "Bi-Lo Myrtle Beach Marathon" and thought of you ... just wanted to say "good luck" and have a great run and Be Great! (is this your first marathon? Just wondering..)

James said...

Thanks a lot Mary Lou. Wendy and I have just got back from Myrtle Beach where we had a great weekend. I am very pleased with how the marathon went (yet glad that it is over) and will update my Blog with a post as soon as I can muster the energy :-)

Derek said...

James,
Well done for completing your first marathon. Look forward to your next blog covering the highs and lows, but please one request, can you focus on the highs and play down the aches and pains so as not to put me off.
Well done again.
Derek