Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Royal Navy are going back to Hawaii


230 years after Captain James Cook first made landfall in the Hawaiian islands and 229 years after his rather less successful return to the Big Island the Royal Navy will once again be stepping foot on the Island of Hawaii. Wendy and I will be at the Ironman World Championships one way or another.

I have not managed to find some back door route to qualification but instead we have made a rather exciting decision. Wendy has wanted to visit Hawaii for many, many years and has raised the possibility of going there on holiday long before my interest in Triathlon and my subsequent desire to qualify for the World Championships. In all honesty I was always put off by the expense and distances involved and used to fob her off with lame excuses. With this exchange posting to the States we are over 3000 miles closer to the Hawaiian Islands than we were in the UK and we have decided just to go ahead and rent a holiday home for a week over the World Champs.

As far as I am concerned it is a win win situation. If I can pull it off and qualify for the World Champs I will have family with me to share in the experience. If I fail to qualify we can have a once in a lifetime style holiday and watch one of the greatest sporting spectacles in the world (I also get to score points with my wife which I can bank for subsequent holidays).

I cannot help but feel like things are beginning to gather pace. I am really excited about the trip to Hawaii, even if it is not until October, and the season will be kicking off very soon. The marathon is only a week and a half away and I am already starting to think about what I will need for my first Triathlon of the season.

I am also really excited about the new kit that should be arriving soon. Zoot have apparently mailed our new shoes and they do not even go on general sale until March and I think the LAS helmets are close to being mailed. I feel like a kid in a sweet shop and will post some pictures as soon as the gear arrives.

I also promise to try not to upset anyone when we get to Hawaii as apparantly there is some controversy over what might have happened to Cook after his death. All controversy aside if anyone does want to eat me please bear in mind that by October I will most likely not have too much in the way of body fat and will not make a good roast.

2 comments:

Scott Sharpe said...

Thats awesome james! Hopefully you will qualify and make it an even better holiday. Also, its good to hear about the shoes, I'm anxious to try them out.

James said...

Thanks Scott. I saw your comments about weather and thought you might like to know that it was 70 degrees farenheit here yesterday
:-)