Saturday, December 29, 2007

Canadian Winter - 1; Triathlete - 0

Wendy and I are back from our Christmas holiday in Toronto where we stayed with my Aunt and Uncle and we had a wonderful Christmas dinner with my cousins.

The photo was taken on Christmas day at an Ice Rink on the edge of Lake Ontario and by the way my wife is not that short I just happen to be wearing ice skates.

Not long after the photo was taken I started to get a headache and by the time I went to bed I was sweating and shivering and had a dreadful nights sleep. Luckily this week was a recovery week but after the run on Christmas Eve I have not felt upto exercising until today when I picked up my program with a 2hr cycle, yoga and a recovery run.

There is an advert on Canadian TV at the moment where there is a rather serious looking woman who has a stinking cold but she declares that if you think that will stop her training you don't know her. You then see the lady powering out some lengths in the pool having taken whatever cold remedy is being advertised. This to me seems rediculous. Apart from the risk of her spreading her cold to others in her leisure centre everything I have heard, or read, tells me that when you are sick you should not train. It is important to get well before you start adding the extra strain on your body of training. This philosophy seems to have worked as I have only missed a run, cycle and some weights training but I think my cold, or bug, has been seen off and I do not expect any lingering symptoms.

I also have to take my hat off to Scott, my fellow Cadence Kona Challenger, who is faced with many more months of that Canadian winter. Not to mention Kate who has to tend with a Nebraskan winter. Although temperatures in Toronto were not that bad this week when we arrived on Sunday there were 50mph winds and the windchill factor was pretty bad. Whereas I was able to go for a run in shorts this evening, here in Virginia, Scott and Kate must really struggle to get outside at all.

I hope you all had a great Christmas and I will try and post a precis of my 2007 triathlon season over the next few days to mark the end of the year.

1 comment:

Scott Sharpe said...

It sounds like you had a good trip to the North. I can asure you that this winter is a bit out of the ordinary, last year at a race in January, people had shorts on. I am jealous of your weather as it has been more than difficult this year. Hope your training is going well and I look forward to seeing what you are racing this year.
Scott