Saturday, December 15, 2007

Training Zones - TR**


In previous posts I have mentioned endurance zones, lactate threshold and base phase without really bothering to explain what these terms mean. For the benefit of anyone who is looking at starting to train in this way I thought I would explain what I have learned so far about heart rate training zones and how they are applied. For the really techy I will include my heart rate zones from the beginning of the season, based on a V02 max test, with my heart rate zones taken at the end of the season using a blood lactate threshold test, a bike time trial and a run time trial.

So what are the heart rate training zones? Certain training systems define heart rate zones differently but in broad terms they all follow the same principle. My heart rate zones from a VO2 max test with Ken Mierke at fitness concepts (3 Apr 07) were:

Zone 1 Active Recovery 132-142
Zone 2 Aerobic Threshold 143-150
Zone 3 Tempo Training 151-164
Zone 4 Lactate Threshold 165-173
Zone 5a Super-threshold Training 174-177
Zone 5b Aerobic Capacity Training 178-182
Zone 5c Anaerobic Capacity Training 183+

My new training zones according to my latest (20 Oct 07) Blood Lactate Threshold testing by Cadence are (figures in brackets are from cycle/run field tests):

Zone 1 Recovery <115 color (<116/<115)
Zone 2 Endurance 117-139 (117-140/117-140)
Zone 3 Sub Lactate Threshold 140-161 (141-162/141-161)
Zone 4a Lactate Threshold 162-167 (163-168/163-168)
Zone 4b Super Lactate Threshold 169-177 (173-179/169-178)
Zone 5 VO2 Max 179 (180/179)
Zone 6 Sub-maximal n/a
Zone 7 Maximal n/a

N.B. The Field Tests gave remarkably similar results to the blood lactate test. It is also worth noting that Cadence put my endurance zone much lower than my VO2 max test earlier in the year but my lactate threshold is pretty similar. You can do field tests on your own with a stop watch for further guidance see a good book such as Joe Friel's 'The Triathlete's Training Bible'.

Once you know your heart rate zones you can use a heart rate monitor to target your training e.g. if I keep my heart rate between 117 and 139 I know that I will be in my endurance zone. This is where you spend most of your base miles during the build phase of your training program. In this zone you are training your slow twitch muscles and teaching your body to rely on fat for fuel rather than carbohydrates (fat will last a longer than your carbohydrate stocks).

When you want to do speed work you will often spend time training around your lactate threshold so that your body can become more efficient at speed without getting to the stage where you are creating more lactic acid than your body can recycle.

The zones are also very useful in a race. As you race more often you know what zone you need to maintain at certain race distance in order to finish in the best time. Apparently overtime you come to recognize how your body is doing without the use of a heart rate monitor but for beginners/intermediates I think a heart rate monitor is a useful training tool.

If you do not want to payout for a heart rate monitor you can judge your training purely on perceived effort (PE) and achieve similar results. If maximum effort for you is 10 and no effort is 0 then the following PE relate to each zone:

Zone 1 PE <3
Zone 2 PE 4-5
Zone 3 PE 6
Zone 4a PE 7-7.5
Zone 4b PE 8
Zone 5 PE 9
Zone 6 PE 9.5
Zone 7 PE 10

N.B. a good rule of thumb for exercising in Zone 2 (PE4-5) is that you can hold a conversation, 7-8 words without having to take a breath, whilst training.

The trick is to make sure that you stick to your endurance zone when doing your base training as it is so easy to get sucked into going quicker which can prevent you from getting in the necessary volume.

As you move into TR*** territory you may well start using other tools to train. Probably the best indication of training intensity is a power meter. By measuring the power you are producing on the bike you know what intensity you are training at. The advantage of power meters are that they are not affected by environmental factors such as wind and heat (on hot days you will find your heart rate monitor reading higher than normal).

I know from my field test on the bike that my 20min avg power is 258 watts (estimated LT power of 245) and as I get fitter I will try and push these numbers up. Another useful figure when it comes to performance is your power to weight ratio. If you look at the Tour de France cyclists they weigh less than a full water bottle but can put down phenomenal power which is why they are so bloody fast. My power to weight ratio was 3.12 watts/kg and I am looking forward to seeing this improve over time (a top pro cyclist will be up around the 7watts/kg mark).

My first season went pretty well and I believe that this was in large part due to finding TeamZ and following a good periodized program which was not too taxing. I used a heart rate monitor all year and it seemed to work for me but having gone on and on about HR zones it is worth bearing in mind that I recently heard an interview with Chrissy Wellington (the Brit who won the Ironman Worldchampionships at her first try) and she has never trained with a heart rate monitor – so there you go.

P.S. please remember that I am not a coach and I am just sharing what I have learned. There is loads of good info on line but I would always encourage newbies to join a local team where you will find a wealth of knowledge to tap.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It is incredible how technical training is appearing to become. If I had but known all this 30 years ago!!!! Good luck and keep posting
Jo

Unknown said...

James, first chance I've had to sit down and read your blog - Brilliant work and brightened up my dull office day.

Keep it up.

Regards

Aidy